Facebook Utilizes the New Google Chrome Push API for Notifications
Google Chrome’s new Push API lets developer push notifications to their users through their mobile web browser. This is a great tool for developers who now do not need the users to download the native apps in order to get the full features of the website. Facebook has also announced that it will also be using this feature to push notifications to users.
All of us who have good smartphones and good wifi or mobile data plans know that we can access Facebook through its native app. We also know that in order to use the Facebook chat feature, we have to use an additional app called Messenger. Now, Facebook alone spans across 210MB in my mobile. Add in the extra 46 MB of Messenger and you get a total of 256 MB. While we may not care one way or another, there are people with limited storage and strict data plans that doesn’t allow them to update the app regularly.
So, this step ensures that those users get to enjoy the full benefits of Facebook on their mobiles too. Also, Facebook mobile website runs faster and requires less data than Facebook mobile app and that right there is an excellent reason to be excited about this new feature.
How to Get Facebook Push Notifications:
So, you are sold on this feature? If so, you can enable Facebook push notifications by following the steps below:
- First of all, update your mobile Chrome browser to the latest version.
- When it’s updated, sign in to m.facebook.com
- You should get a pop-up request that will ask whether or not you want to get the notifications from this site. Click on the ‘Allow’ button and you are good to go.
- If for some reason, it doesn’t appear or it appeared and you accidentally clicked the ‘Deny’ button then you can easily fix this by clicking the three dots menu button and going to Settings>Site Settings>Notifications.
- See if m.facebook.com is in the ‘Allowed’ section. If it is not, add it.
See? Very easy. This change is a really good step in improving mobile communication. Not every website needs to have its separate app and by this feature, they don’t have to. This feature will prove to be great in social media marketing as well.